Friday, November 11, 2011

First Amendment Faux Pas

Click for audio version
A little while back, first grade teacher Jennifer O’Brien posted she was a “warden for future criminals” on her Facebook page and this week a judge ruled she could be fired from her tenured job. Now I tend to agree but not for the comment but because anybody dumb enough to post something like that via the social media highway should not, under any circumstances, be allowed anywhere near the formative minds of young children. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty sure she’s right but when you’re a teacher, those are your inside-your-head thoughts not barfing-on-Facebook thoughts.  

Now she does have the first amendment right to post whatever she likes on her Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ accounts but let’s be honest here, no one’s really hanging out on Google+ now that they’ve gotten used to the new Facebook layout. But I digress. 

My point is, she does have the right to post anything she likes within reason and by reason I mean the Patriot Act but that’s a rant for another day. That said, your First Amendment right only guarantees free speech, not employment. All I’m saying is that just because you have the right to say something doesn’t always mean you should. You don’t believe me, ask Gilbert Gottfried.

Now it was also rumored that a Middle School principal spent a weekend searching students Facebook pages and then suspended the ones that had foul language on their profiles. Of course that would defeat the purpose since it would just give them an additional 6 hours a day to talk more shit on Facebook. But I digress. 

Look, I don’t have all the answers, my head swims every time I try to get a grip on reality. I see shit like American Express hijacking Small Business Saturday, a cause meant to support small businesses. I mean how ironic is that? People… let’s not start taking long hot showers with American Express just yet. American Express will show support for ANY entity that accepts the American Express card for the exact same reason movie critics can’t stop talking about this week’s new release… IT’S THEIR JOB!!!

My point is, fuck “Small Business Saturday”, how about “Small Business Everyday”? And while you’re at it, lend a hand to the Occupy movement and leave your credit cards at home. 

Now I know that this latest news cycle has really cast a shadow on the Occupy movement so let me give you a little reminder of what they’re fighting for. I’ll begin by giving a shout-out to Coca-Cola and the Grand Canyon for reaching an accord regarding the sordid issue of plastic bottles and hefty donations.

You see, the Grand Canyon was all set to ban plastic bottles until Coca-Cola, the distributor of Dasani water AND major donor of over $13 million to the National Parks Foundation, pointed out how it would be awfully hard to justify donating so much money to our national parks if they weren’t allowed to destroy them. 

Of course you probably missed these news stories because of the Penn State child molestation and subsequent firing of the winningest coach in college football history, Joe Paterno. Now at the risk of my wife never ever speaking to me again, I’m gonna come right out and say that based on the facts, Joe Paterno is culpable for every child molested by Sandusky after he was informed of what was happening. Let’s be honest here, Joe Paterno had knowledge of the incident, nobody’s denying that; Joe Paterno informed his superiors of the incident, nobody’s denying that; Joe Paterno failed to call the police and sadly, nobody’s denying that either and therein lies the rub. To quote JoPa “Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good.” I’m betting he’d like a little salt right about now. 

Yeah I know… it sounds fucked up when I put it that way

No comments:

Post a Comment